Sunday, September 8, 2013

I'm Thrilled

                                                                                Attribution: Halim

I remember…
…writing my first poetry on Oct 10, 2010. It was a free verse entitled The Little Bird (here). I had spent half the night and right through the wee hours of morning. I completed it after that many hours.

All along a few wonderful people were with me on this. There was Pakcik Hassan who goaded me into writing poetry in the first place. There was poet and writer Ms Ninotaziz who introduced me to the rudiments of proper poetry writing. Ms Ninot revealed the names of blogs that provided prompts such as Magpie Tales, One Stop Wednesday among others then. I was asked to link my postings to them

Lurking in the background was my buddy Halim who encouraged me every so often. And  I was there together with these kind blogging friends to complete the equation and did it my way.

Then when I wrote my first haiku (here) entitled The Smog on Oct 24, 2010 (not really knowing what haiku was) Pakcik wrote in the comments:

‘I am fairly certain, given a year, you will be thinking of compiling your work into a book’

It was a prediction which I dreaded to think about. I had as yet to have some semblance of that creative flair and poetic language of a poet. I did not give it much thought. As of now I still feel I'm handicapped.

But after writing poetry for over 2 years I chalked up the numbers and I thought it would be fun to compile them into a book. That decision was made at end of 2012. I couldn't meet Pakcik's predicted target of one year. I was late by a year.

And before I could say Jack Robinson, my buddy Halim made a posting on my book at his blog (here) . I had extended a copy to him last Thursday Sept 05,2013.

A compilation is no big deal I thought but I’m thrilled!

Submitted for K's hosting at d'Verse: Poetics: Try to Remember

38 comments:

  1. It is a big deal Hank. I've been toying with the idea of writing a book longer than I can remember, and have not had the courage to do so. I admire that you took the time and effort. The cover looks great. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myrna! Yes, it took time and efforts. There has to be some thinking done on the structure and arrangements before emailing them to the publishers. It was an experience!

      Hank

      Delete
  2. dude...congrats! that is awesome! it is a big deal...and what a journey through poetry eh? i am very proud for you hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian! You have a lot to do with it, Sir! You may not know it but I draw a lot of knowledge and guidance from you especially and the rest of the crowd.

      Hank

      Delete
  3. Hank! Congratulations! Best of luck - you've worked very hard and deserve good things. k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cool - congrats on the book hank - something you can really be proud of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Frau who really inspires. Thanks a lot Frau Clouds!

      Hank

      Delete
  5. Hank,

    Congratulations on the book..that is indeed something to be proud of in the journey of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats indeed at your feed. Not only are you #1 with a streak that won't be beat, but now have a book too. Proud should be the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pale shadow of what you've done
      But still just as thrilled for one
      Batches by batches
      To the publishers
      Some lots of efforts and lots of fun

      Hank

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOops....that is wonderful Hank....it is quite an accomplishment for you! I look forward to hearing more and reading more.

      Delete
  8. HANK! You have a BOOK! And a BEAUTIFUL one, too! That's fantastic news! Congrats, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation Hank a real book --- a great trip you describe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. To hold one's writing in one bounded copy is thrilling. I made a hardcover iBook (Mac) for myself and family. It sits with pride of place in my living room - well behind to all my children's artistic treasures and accomplishments that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Marge! Great idea to retain all family fun in print. Facilities are available to store such glorious moments and masterpieces for posterity, and you've done it!

      Hank

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Hank! You are motivating me to get my book in gear, I have it started (official with the ISBN registered and all) now to the sorting and editing.

    Very excited for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Shanyn, half the battle won. It may cause a little headache initially but it will be great fun!

      Hank

      Delete
  12. I remember vaguely suggesting you going haiku. One day you will tell me what this haiku business is all about.

    Sedihnya hatiku
    Others go high-school
    Hanya aku bawah bangku
    Hai-nasib-ku

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pakcik! There are lots of haiku in the book, a whole section to play around with.

      Hank

      Delete
  13. Oh, Hank, I am so happy for you!! Doesn't it feel absolutely wonderul to hold a hard copy of your words in your hands. I hope this is your first book of many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! Was inspired by your Lulu gems! To think you're on to your 3rd book now. Wonderful Ma'am! Hope you can give me some pointers.

      Hank

      Delete
  14. Congrats Hank ~ I am so happy for you ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations Hank and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Hank,
    You have achieved excellence over time and would have made P.D. Bond and Micheal Loh proud. By the way, in adat perpatih its saying below is apt;
    Yang merah itu saga
    Yang kurik kundi
    Yang indah bahasa
    Yang elok budi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good news, you worked and got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congo!!! thrilled to see a fellow poet published and honoured to be in such wonderful company!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sir Hank! I had no idea…well done! Sorry, I have been swamped with various projects and work and change of career!

    Congratulations! Oh dear, i would have to do the same one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ninot Ma'am,
      Pl do! Would love to see them in print. Would like to send you mine above through poslaju. Kindly email addy! Thanks Ma'am!

      Hank

      Delete